In February of 1892, in the Convent of St. Catherine on Mount Sinai, Agnes Smith Lewis discovered the palimpsest manuscript that would come to be known as the Sinai Codex, and which would be hailed as a great boon to the field of Biblical criticism. Photographed at St. Catherine’s by Lewis and her sister Margaret Dunlop Gibson, the discovery was shared with Robert L. Bensly and F. Crawford Burkitt upon Lewis’s return to Cambridge. After limited success with the photographic reproduction, Lewis, Bensly, Burkitt, and J. Rendel Harris journeyed to St. Catherine’s to work with the manuscript itself in the Spring of 1893. The Four Gospels in Syriac Transcribed From the Sinaitic Palimpsest presents the fruit of their labors.
Robert L. Bensly