Close
You have no items in your shopping cart.
Search
Filters

The Torches of Edessa: Establishment – Development 1924-2004


After the expulsion of the Syrian Orthodox community from Edessa in 1924, they found refuge in Aleppo. One of the first things the community did upon its settling in Aleppo was found a school where its youth were taught the Syriac language and important melodies and prayers from the liturgy, among other things. This school was the ancestor of the Syrian Orthodox school of Aleppo which is today called by the name of Bani Taghlib, and in this book Sara Doghramji has given us a history of this institution, from its founding in 1927 to the present.
Publisher: Gorgias Press LLC
Availability: In stock
SKU (ISBN): 978-1-60724-249-9
  • *
Publication Status: In Print

Publication Date: May 19,2010
Interior Color: Black
Trim Size: 6 x 9
Page Count: 244
Language: Arabic
ISBN: 978-1-60724-249-9
$171.00
$119.70
x =

After the expulsion of the Syrian Orthodox community from Edessa in 1924, they found refuge in Aleppo. One of the first things the community did upon its settling in Aleppo was found a school where its youth were taught the Syriac language and important melodies and prayers from the liturgy, among other things. This school was the ancestor of the Syrian Orthodox school of Aleppo which is today called by the name of Bani Taghlib, and in this book Sara Doghramji has given us a history of this institution, from its founding in 1927 to the present. Doghramji’s work is wide-ranging, chronicling the school’s expansion into a secondary school, its curriculum, its administration, and more—numerous photos of its students and administrators are even offered. Also included in the book are a number of contributions by prominent teachers and graduates of the school, describing their experiences there in their own words. This book will be of value to anyone interested in the contemporary history of Christianity in the Middle East and Syria, as well as to persons interested in education in the Middle East.

After the expulsion of the Syrian Orthodox community from Edessa in 1924, they found refuge in Aleppo. One of the first things the community did upon its settling in Aleppo was found a school where its youth were taught the Syriac language and important melodies and prayers from the liturgy, among other things. This school was the ancestor of the Syrian Orthodox school of Aleppo which is today called by the name of Bani Taghlib, and in this book Sara Doghramji has given us a history of this institution, from its founding in 1927 to the present. Doghramji’s work is wide-ranging, chronicling the school’s expansion into a secondary school, its curriculum, its administration, and more—numerous photos of its students and administrators are even offered. Also included in the book are a number of contributions by prominent teachers and graduates of the school, describing their experiences there in their own words. This book will be of value to anyone interested in the contemporary history of Christianity in the Middle East and Syria, as well as to persons interested in education in the Middle East.

Write your own review
  • Only registered users can write reviews
  • Bad
  • Excellent
Contributor

Sara Doghramji

Gregorios Ibrahim